Sleeps up to 12 people in 4 bedrooms,
and features its own private Spa Bath. The Oast House is a charming old double tower Oast with a bathroom, shower room and 2 separate WCs. There are 2 large downstairs reception rooms, one of which can be used as a dining room, a spacious kitchen, a large private garden and lovely views towards the South Downs.
Originally built in the 19th century for drying hops for the brewing trade, it was converted in about 1911 into a comfortable summer house by my grandfather for his widowed mother Lady Mayo. Like most old Oasts, it has a special atmosphere, not least because the main rooms are round. It is approached up some old steps and along a pillared rose-clad pergola. It is a great favourite with our visitors.
The comfortable downstairs accommodation includes:
- A private Arctic Spa Bath in the garden that seats 4 to 6 people, with a constantly maintained temperature of 35°C which is always ready to use.
- A quite large hall with coat cupboard, and also a shower room and a WC off it.
- A large circular TV sitting room with a parquet floor, an attractive working open fireplace, comfortable furniture and a door out onto the patio and garden.
- A large circular dining room with unusual tables and chairs that will seat up to 20 people. There is also a settee that opens into a 4ft (1.2 m) double bed.
- A large fully equipped airy kitchen, with views out on 3 sides, which features a lovely light oak table that seats 12.
It has an electric double-oven cooker, a microwave, dishwasher, washing machine, fridge freezer and coffee machine. The kitchen has its own door, which leads out to a working BBQ area.
The stairs featuring a huge and beautiful painting of my mother in 1920, lead to the first floor containing:
- One very large circular double bedroom with a magnificent 4’6” (1.37 m) 4-poster bed.
- Another very large circular family bedroom, with one 4’6” (1.37 m) double bed, and two 3’ (91 cm) single beds.
- A 3rd bedroom with a two 3’ (91 cm) beds and a 2’6” (76 cm) divan.
- The 4th, little, bedroom with a 3’6” (1.06 m) bed.
- Another folding bed is available on this floor.
- The bathroom has a bath (with ‘telephone shower’), basin and WC, and there is a separate toilet room with WC and basin.
|Additional features of The Oast House:
|Dogs are allowed.
2 dogs are free, then £7 per dog up to a maximum of 4 total. Dogs must be on leads outside the house garden.