Sleeps up to 12 people in 4 bedrooms,
and features its own private Spa Bath. The Oast House is a charming old double tower Oast with a bathroom, shower room and 2 separate WCs. There are 2 large downstairs reception rooms, one of which can be used as a dining room, a spacious kitchen, a large private garden and lovely views towards the South Downs.
Originally built in the 19th century for drying hops for the brewing trade, it was converted in about 1911 into a comfortable summer house by my grandfather for his widowed mother Lady Mayo. Like most old Oasts, it has a special atmosphere, not least because the main rooms are round. It is approached up some old steps and along a pillared rose-clad pergola. It is a great favourite with our visitors.
The comfortable downstairs accommodation includes:
- A private Arctic Spa Bath in the garden that seats 4 to 6 people, with a constantly maintained temperature of 35°C which is always ready to use.
- A quite large hall with coat cupboard, and also a shower room and a WC off it.
- A large circular TV sitting room with a parquet floor, an attractive working open fireplace, comfortable furniture and a door out onto the patio and garden.
- A large circular dining room with unusual tables and chairs that will seat up to 20 people. There is also a settee that opens into a 4ft (1.2 m) double bed.
- A large fully equipped airy kitchen, with views out on 3 sides, which features a lovely light oak table that seats 12.
It has an electric double-oven cooker, a microwave, dishwasher, washing machine, fridge freezer and coffee machine. The kitchen has its own door, which leads out to a working BBQ area.
The stairs, featuring a huge and beautiful painting of my mother in 1920, lead to the first floor containing:
- One large circular double bedroom with a magnificent 5′ (1.5 m) 4-poster bed.
- Another large circular family bedroom, with one 4’6” (1.37m) Zip&Lock double bed (making 2 x 2’3” singles if required) double bed, and two 3’ (91 cm) single beds (one stored beneath the other).
- A 3rd bedroom with three 3’ (91 cm) beds.
- The 4th, small bedroom with a 3’6” (1.06 m) single bed.
- Another single folding bed is available on this floor, stored underneath the 4-poster bed, if required.
- The bathroom has a bath (with ‘telephone shower’), basin and WC, and there is a separate corner WC and basin.
|Ground Floor||First Floor
Click the plans above for enlarged views
The Oast House Gallery
Some reviews and comments from recent visitors to The Oast House
“The Oast House is a fabulous property in a wonderful part of the world. Kildare is a fantastic host. We were running late for a delivery of groceries and he kindly collected it for us! All the amenities worked perfectly and the dining room was the ideal setting for good food and conversation. Thank you!”
Another Perfect Retreat at Pekes
“Our stay was outstanding. A brilliant home in a brilliant location. And the host answered all my questions quickly and efficiently. We couldn’t be happier 🙂 ”
“I stayed with 11 friends for a hen do and we had a wonderful time. We particularly enjoyed the hot tub and pool! The conference room was also a cute touch for our quiz! The service from Kildare on behalf of the owner was outstanding! Couldn’t recommend more.”
“Our weekend at the Oast house was just fantastic, it was a surprise for my mums 60th. The house is just beautiful, really lovely homely feel. We had a mix of ages and all thoroughly enjoyed our stay, the private hot tub was a nice extra and the swimming pool was great, the kids loved it! The grounds and views were just amazing. A real hidden gem. Wish we could have stayed longer. Unfortunately didn’t get to meet Kildare but What a great man! Everything from start to finish was made really easy and can’t thank him enough. We all Hope to return in the future.”
|Dogs are allowed.
1 dog is free, then £10 per dog up to a maximum of 4 total. Dogs must be on leads outside the house garden.